I was all set to post about my meeting this past Sunday with a hopeful/potential/I-think-he’s-gonna-score-it composer-friend of mine. But then life decided to lob a big ol’ curveball in my direction. And after the events of the last forty-eight hours, my artistic mission seems a little less significant at the moment. So, I thought I’d use dear bloggy to ponder over some of the things I’ve recently discovered.
Let me preface this by stating that I was the advocate in the situation referred to below, not the patient.
And the aforementioned patient is doing okay now. (Big. Sigh. Of. Relief.)
Therefore, I bring you…
DELIBERATE’S DELIBERATIONS OF UNMISTAKEABLE
MEANING AND IMPORTANCE:
1) Text message I never need to receive again: Time stamp: 3:59 a.m. Have been admitted to hospital will be here 24 hours waiting to go into the or in 30 min. Deirdre wipes sleep from eyes, convinced she misread her phone display. <Beat> Um…WHAT THE EFF?!?!?
2) Hospitals = Not terribly fun. Even when they try to pass themselves off as a fancy hotel complete with valet parking and room service. Yes, you read that correctly: valet parking and room service. When did this happen?
3) I accept that bad things happen to good people…but must they keep happening?!? C’mon, Universe, this is a really good person here!!! Lighten up a little!
4) Nurses have to deal with a lot of crap, and I’m not just talking figuratively. Treat them with respect.
5) On the flip side, if your patient’s pain-medicating needs are not being met in a timely fashion, as evidenced by the fact that I pressed the friggin’ call button about ten minutes ago and NO ONE is showing up, then you will discover your inner Aurora Greenway. I did.
So be sure to hug your partner/parents/pets/people extra tight tonight and every night, dear readers. It’s great to have dreams, but the real joy comes in being able to share them. And that’s why I am sooooooo thankful for all of you. (Okay, I know I’m getting sappy, but you’ve caught me at a weak moment. I stand by the sentiment, though!)
NEXT UP: Music Man: Take 2? I’m too exhausted to commit.
P.S. Try as I might to scale down the sizes of some of these inserted photos, I just can’t seem to make it stick. Sorry. I’ll figure out this WordPress stuff eventually. (Paging Shawn Hazen! HELP!)